Thursday, May 22, 2008

Getting Ready to Leave

Well, shoot. I am about to embark on a meritorious journey to an historically marvelous, merrily magnificent locale. Perhaps you (the reader) have caught on to my blatant alliteration, if so, my description can only mean Morocco, or maybe Mongolia, Mauritania, or Madagascar...but who's keeping track. It is with a mixture of excitement, and uncontrollable nervousness that I prepare to leave on a jet plane (to borrow a line from Peter, Paul and Mary) destined for Ifrane, Morocco, where I will be taking Arabic language classes and assimilating into North African culture.

I will be departing from the Helena Regional Airport at 8:00 am which makes me nervous, because this is the first time I will be leaving the North American continent. But should I be worried? To put it simply, I feel that I owe myself an adventure that will make me feel uncomfortable. I love learning about Islam, but textbooks can only get me so far. I have to experience the culture to feel like my education will pay me dividends later.

Hey....Everyone has to leave their comfort zone every once in a while. Right?

Dick

6 comments:

Patrick Rivers said...

rick,
i'm so fucking excited for you and incredibly jealous. please keep this updated regularly so that i may live vicariously through your experience, and we will have to converse while you are there. you are in my thoughts my friend

Meghan said...

Rick, I'm so excited for you. This will be a wonderful adventure and I'm looking forward to reading your blog. You make me very proud little bro. Love you!

Unknown said...

Dick,
I can't tell you how completely jealous I am that you get to go on such an awesome-sounding trip. Keep us all updated, I'm interested to see how it all goes! Miss ya!

Unknown said...

Dick
Your adventure sounds tooo cool. Say hey to Bogart for me and don't forget to go riding on the Marrakeh Express. Keep me posted.
Best Wishes,
Bob

Unknown said...

Son,
Everyone needs people in their life to lookup to, heroes if you will.
I am uniquely fortunate in that the people I consider my heroes are very same people I love most in this world.

I am alway so very proud of you!
Love you,
Dad

JennaBeth said...

Wow. Big day today!

You, my dear, are fantastically, inspirationally brave.

I'd wish you good luck, but that's a trite, meaningless phrase for someone who will get along fine without needing providence's helping hand. Your intelligence, charisma and intrepid personality will get you far enough without my luck-wishing!
All my love!