Friday, May 30, 2008

Arrival

Well... I arrived in Ifrane approximately 20 hours ago. I have not had much of a chance to inform people that I arrived safely, but I did!

Funny story, the airlines lost my baggage somewhere along the way. Basically, I have my computer, my headset (to communicate with people), one spare change of clothes, and a couple of notebooks. I am glad I traveled with everything important in my backpack. I think it may have been a blessing in disguise lugging that beefy thing around.

I must have looked pretty funny standing quietly by my TA as she spoke with the gentleman from the airline. After reporting my lost luggage, I walked over to join my fellow students in the two vans that were picking us up. I got into the larger of the two passenger vans, ironically enough, I was the last to get in, so I ended sitting in the van filled with everybody's luggage.

Then the fun stuff began. just so that everyone knows, Moroccans-like most Africans-drive a little differently than most of us are used to in the states. For example, the customary 30 foot rule for following a car does not exist in Morocco. Instead, the driver will follow the car in front of him as closely as possible; until the other lane is clear to pass. So there I am, driving in a luggage filled van (with no seatbelt, because the van had none) flying down the road in excess of 130 km/hr, casually peering in to the cars in front of us, just before we pass them.

Hope you are excited for me! I have some pictures from the beginnings of my trip. I will post them at the bottom, take your time to enjoy them... be awed at the sights, and feel free to laugh at my lost luggage "incident."

It is 11:00am in Morocco as I write this post. I have an introductory Moroccan culture lecture to attend at 2:00pm, and then some administrative things to deal with shortly thereafter. We are getting a tour of Ifrane-starting at 5:30-so I will be sure to take plenty of pictures.

Salaam

P.S. If anyone is interested, you might consider sending me a little gift, just follow the hyperlink.

Gift for Dick

No comments: